Welcome!

Here you can enjoy pictures and stories of my travels. Enjoy!

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Helsinki, Finland

The smell of fish, the salty cool air, the taste of raspberry jelly donuts, and blonde hair, blue-eyed, round-faced people with ski jump noses...that is how I will remember Finland. Todd and I got to walk around for a few hours before rehearsal and loved seeing the tall cathedrals and markets with trinkets and fish. We were told that the ‘church in a rock’ was a must-see, so we briskly walked another 20 minutes to see what it was all about. At first glance, it was a disappointing dome church with some rocks built up around it, but after Todd insisted we peek inside, we were much more impressed with the view from underneath. Along with the flood of tourists, there was an organist playing hymns that echoed from the rocks to the rest of the world. It really made me think of one my favorites, How Great Thou Art. 


One of my favorite things to see was how the outside dining was set up in cafes: There were rows of tables, and the chairs belonging to them were all side by side, and facing the sidewalk. This intrigued me! It’s as if they are set up for people-watching. Noticing your surroundings, and sitting next to the person you came with, not across from them. I  am absolutely fascinated with this custom!




No comments:

Post a Comment