Welcome!

Here you can enjoy pictures and stories of my travels. Enjoy!

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Argostoli, Cephalonia, Greece

Today I was on an excursion called Cephalonian Highlights.
Here is what I learned from my tour guide about the island of Cephalonia:

Cephalonia is featured in the 2003 movie with Nicholas Cage, Penelope Cruz called, "Captain Corelli's Mandolin," based on the book of the same title. I think it is the 4th largest Greek island but sparsely populated. There are now 35,000 residents, but there were 90,000 until the 1953 earthquake that destroyed 90% of the houses. Half of the population left! Those remaining have resorted to tourism.
There is a wide Italian influence: food, older architecture and music...specifically serenades with guitar or mandolin :)

Robola wine comes from the island of Cephalonia and is made from white robola grapes. The title is protected for only Cephalonians. It pairs well with fish and is famous for not giving you any hangover! 

It snows in the winter.

20 Cephalonian horses live wild in the forest. They were abandoned after retired from farming. 

Greek cheese is always from goats and sheep, rarely cows. There are 4 heads of goats or sheep for every person. 

Boating through Lake Melissani, cave of the nymphs



Lake Melissani


In this little beachside village, I had the best tzatziki of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment